Saturday, August 13, 2011
Berlin_0.txt
So we sit there with my grandpa at the airport bar and he asks me if we shouldn't have a pair of calming ones before the boarding. I nod to him and take out my phone to send my girl a text while he walks off to buy us the drinks.
We board the airplane, so far the smallest aircraft I've flown in, and make our way to our seats. The seats are located just next to the wing and i suddenly remember my grandmas story about how she once saw an engine fire break out while she was flying from Asia to Europe. I find it amusing for a while and wonder why the story doesn't scare me the least, after all, its a long while since i last traveled by plane.
Greetings and safety instructions are announced as the plane rolls out to the runway. While listening to these oddly formal messages a small fear starts to creep up on me. The thing that had been bugging me the past evenings suddenly surfaces on the perfectly last moment, its the simplest of frights, the fear of dying.
Due to my medical condition i suffered from a few years back i haven't been able to fly and no one really could tell me what would happen when i stepped on an airplane. The doctor who seemed to know the most said that all should be fine but that he could by no means promise anything and just asked me to be careful.
So as the plane rolls to a stop on the runway i find myself doing something unusual. I find that despite my tries to think about various things to occupy my mind with I'm recitating the lords prayer in my head. I don't tend to pray for myself even though I do consider myself to be fairly devout in my own ways so this all surprises me.
Ominously enough as soon as i reach Amen the engines clatter turn into a howl and the aircraft darts forward with great force. As the plane climbs my though's halt to a standstill and i can only stare out the window at the ground that keeps on disappearing into the distance and the haze of the clouds.
Suddenly the airplane starts shaking violently as we raise trough dense clouds but stops equally quickly when we emerge above then. And it is as if my fears and doubts all get washed away in an instant when i see the landscape of white mountains towering all over and a perfect blue above it. No matter how far i look, the landscape looks the same, equally impressive, as if not from this earth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment